Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Path with Heart


The other night I was at a party and spoke with a woman who mentioned a few years ago she was thinking about making a career change and decided to go through a career counseling program. She took a slew of personality and aptitude tests and when the results came back she was surprised to learn she was already doing the work she was most suited for.  This got me thinking about my own career path.  For a few years, I have been searching for work that I would deeply enjoy and that would make good use of my talents.  Twice, I looked seriously at graduate programs, only to end up dismissing them for one reason or another.  Now I think I was hoping some other version of myself was going to appear and make my life, more specifically my career path, clear and easy.  I wanted work I would love, but I wanted it to happen easily, organically. If I had to fight for it or step too far out of my comfort zone, then it probably wasn't worth it.  The truth is my path had been clear, in a muddy sort of way, mostly because I kept throwing mud on it.  The mud of fear, of doubt, of laziness, of unworthiness, of shame. My fear of saying yes to my purpose was so great that I was searching for jobs in fields that a) I am not qualified for and b) I would have most likely hated. Like the woman at the party, I flirted with other possibilities even though at some level I had already made the commitment to my deeper love.  For example, whenever I thought about going back to school it was always in the same field, and when I meet anyone who does this work I always want to talk with them.  So maybe what work I would do was not so much the question as when, how and where. Maybe timing is everything. Maybe it was not the right school or program in the past. Maybe I was not quite ready.  But this I know for sure, if I do not say yes now I will be stopping the life force in me that is ready to take form and live in the world. My mind still wants to entertain other possibilities, but my body and my spirit are preparing for the birth. The path is still a little muddy, but it is a path with heart and I am finally ready to start the journey.

Is there a journey that has been calling to you?  Is there a dream, or friendship or hobby from your past that is worth revisiting? Is there fear, uncertainty or doubt that is keeping you from a life affirming yes?



2 comments:

  1. Some people seem to know right away in life what they want to do, some people wind their way through life doing different things before they figure it out. The journey in life is what's important though and through that journey, we meet different people that we are meant to for whatever reasons. We can chew over the reasons why we aren't doing what we think we should be doing and blame it on fear, procrastination, laziness or whatever, but I think Spirit knows best. In our journey in life we meet whom we are supposed to and learn other things that maybe Spirit thinks is more important. In your journey Amelia, I got to meet you. For that, I am extremely grateful. There is no right or wrong path - it's just a cosmic ride and the most important lesson we can learn is Love. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your images are stunning in color and emotion. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete