Thursday, April 16, 2015

A Day's Foraging

I was walking home when I checked my phone; the message read, "Going on a hike to find some sage." It was a day my husband and I were both doing our own foraging. I had spent the morning talking with a woman I met through my current job hoping she might lead me to another job. Turns out, she has family ties to the Chicago area and when she saw my Illinois plates, her natural inclination towards networking overcame her and she offered me, a complete stranger, counsel. Our brunch may or may not lead to an improvement in my work situation, but meeting someone who was generous with her time, knowledge and contacts elevated my spirit. The afternoon was spent at a writing workshop. Again not sure if the workshop itself was immensely helpful or will lead to a job (!), but I treasured the quick intimacy created by sharing our writing aloud. The day's adventure through the urban forest had bestowed many treasures, my basket was filled.

When I returned home, there were three bundles of sage awaiting me, like a cat bearing gifts, my husband had left these fragrant leaves on my desk. He was not aware but I had just burnt the last of my sage. This happens to us sometimes. Something we have not verbally expressed is somehow known. I like to think we communicate well, but it is in the visible ways he responds to my subtle desires that amazes me. It is like receiving the answer to a prayer not yet formulated. It seems this is a consistent aspect of love, of God, of the Universe; a deep listening for what is truly needed in any given moment or situation. Of course this is easier to believe when we agree with what has been bestowed or with what has transpired. I guess this is where trust comes in. Often there is a responsibility to make things happen, but at times the most needed action is to open our hands and hearts and receive.

A new lead on a job or an epiphany with my writing would have been welcomed gifts of the day, but it seems I yearned for something else; kindness and fellowship with strangers in my new city. And some wild canyon sage hand-harvested by my beloved that will one day offer itself in a prayer of gratitude for all that is given.





No comments:

Post a Comment